Thursday, October 7, 2010

We Can Only Fear The Future If We Forgot How God Lead Us in The Past


Lately I’ve been reading a book called ”Man of Peace”; it is the contemporary version of the “Desire of Ages” that is written by Ellen G. White. The book states, with details, the life of Jesus. It explains the books Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John on a deeper level. Two days ago I was reading chapter 35 about the storm on the sea. After long day of healing and talking about God’s word, Jesus needed some rest, so He asked the disciples to take him to the other side of the lake. As soon as Jesus got into the boat, he fell asleep. The evening began really calm and peaceful, but not too much longer, a strong storm started. The disciples were experienced fishermen who handled many storms before, but that was a different one. It was a rough one. When the disciples failed to save the boat, they started calling Jesus. After several times of trying to wake Him up, He got up, looked at them with love as peace covered his face, then lifted His hands and ordered the wind and waves to be still. “Instantly, the wind stopped, the waves sank, and the clouds dissipated. The boat bobbed on quite waters under a sky full of stars.” P. 96 All the disciples were amazed at Jesus’ supernatural power. “What kind of man is this? Even the wind and the waves obey Him!” The storm pushed all the other boats near to the boat where Jesus and the disciples were at, and they all witnessed the miracle. Because of the storm, it took Jesus and the disciples a while to get to the other side of the lake. They arrived as the sun was coming up. When they got to the other side, they found two wild men with broken chains trying to attack them. Here comes the interesting ping. The disciples forgot what just happened a few hours ago and how Jesus calmed the crazy storm. Instead of depending on Him for another challenge and trusting that He will act, they were terrified and ran to the beach. However, Jesus stood calm and “ held up the same hand that had quieted the waves in the storm and they could not come nearer.”
I found myself in the same situation as the disciples this passed week. New challenges and storms started to rise again in my work. Instead of realizing that the same God who calmed the previous storm is the same one who will calm this present one, I focused on the storm itself. All the problems I faced became my reality; I was not able to see beyond them. It was not until I read this chapter that I realized how important it is to remember how God has been leading me in the past. One of my favorite Ellen G. White quotes is from Life sketches, p. 196, “We have nothing to fear for the future, except as we shall forget the way the Lord has lead us, and His teaching in our past history”. Why should I be worried of my future or even the present time when I know that the same God who lead me in the past is the same on who is leading me now and will continue to lead me? I love the fact that Jesus didn’t just give up on the disciples and tell them, “ Well, because you still don’t believe in my, I will not help you”. He stopped the wild men with the same hand that calmed the storm. It just gives me hope to know that despite of my unbelief, God is still so patient with me. He is still willing to give me strength to face my storm. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you wrote this! I really needed to hear it :] It's all so true. Thanks Germeen! You're such a wonderful person (praise God! I'm so thankful He made you!)
    I've been praying for you and your mission in Kenya, by the way :) I hope it's helped

    -Suzanne <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!!! I'm reading through Desire of Ages too! :) Just started...I'm so glad God is patient with us!

    ReplyDelete